C W Harrison & Son take the storage and use of personal data very seriously.
Who we are
C W Harrison & Son operate from our premises at Milner Way, Ossett, West Yorkshire, WF5 9JQ and via our websites at www.cwharrison.co.uk and www.cwharrison.com. Our contact telephone number is 01924 279005.
How and when we collect your personal data
During the course of your business with us we collect personal data such as your name, address, telephone numbers and email addresses. We also collect bank details from clients (vendors) who have shown BACS as their preferred payment method.
Visitors to our website will also provide certain information to us via cookies which may include your IP address, geographical information, etc.
In addition some information is provided by third parties when they instruct us to act on their behalf.
CCTV operates throughout our premises, both inside and out, and those images are stored for security and training reasons.
What personal data do we process and why?
1. We collect your name, address, telephone number and email address under the following circumstances:
You register as a bidder, either in
person or online
You register as a vendor. We will also collect your bank details for remitting auction proceeds.
You request condition reports
You ask to be placed on our mailing lists
You, or your agent, requests that we carry out a valuation
We act as an agent for third parties such as Insolvency Practitioners, HMRC and the Official Receiver and their instructions will include relevant personal data. As enforcement agents (HCEO and Bailiff) we will also be provided with personal data if we are instructed to act on behalf of a third party.
We collect this information for legitimate business reasons and store the information in line with legal requirements.
2. To comply with legal requirements (e.g. Money Laundering Regulations) we may also ask for your date of birth and photographic identification to verify your identity. We will also store details of past transactions with us and information relating to any dispute or legal proceeding.
We collect and store this information to comply with our legal obligations.
3. CWH operate email mailing lists to provide you with details of forthcoming auctions or details of particular lots that may be of interest to you. For this we collect your name and email address. On occasion we also send client information through the mail to your postal address. You are free to opt out from our marketing mailings at any time and an email opt-out link is on each marketing email we send out.
We collect and store this information for legitimate business interests.
4. Our saleroom and yards are protected by CCTV for the safety of our employees, clients and visitors. CCTV images are stored for a reasonable amount of time and may, in the case of theft for example, be passed to third parties if they have and can prove a legal right to access. On occasions the auctions may be filmed and your image, or that of your property, could be captured and shown and reproduced via traditional or social media. The right to reproduce images remains with CWH.
We collect these images for legitimate business reasons.
5. We keep records regarding the ownership of property such as the vendor and buyer of each lot. This information may be used if there is an allegation of fraud, theft or any other unlawful activity and will be passed on to the law enforcement agencies such as the police if they have and can prove a legal right to access.
We collect this information for legitimate business reasons and use it for the prevention of crime.
7. Access To Data:
It is essential that staff with the relevant permissions have access to your data in order to efficiently run the business. All our computers are password protected.
8. Retention Of Data
CWH will securely store data for the periods laid out in their Data Retention Schedule which in the majority of cases is seven years or in line with relevant laws or regulatory obligations (for instance HMRC).
9. Transfer Of Data
CWH will not release your information to third parties to use for their own purposes. We do share data with third parties when it is necessary in order to complete a service.
Our email mailing list is managed through Mailchimp and client data such as name, email address and telephone number is saved on their servers.
Our web agency is 6B Digital and they store client contact information on their servers in order to provide log in facilities.
Payments made through the website are made through First Data PaymentSense and we do not have access to your card details.
In addition, your data may be transferred to third parties who help us to maintain our service standards such as removal contractors, consultant valuers, etc.
CWH also have an obligation to provide data to third parties for the prevention and detection of crime and for anti-money laundering checks.
We collect this information for legitimate business reasons.
10. How do we keep your data secure?
We take all appropriate and reasonable steps to keep your data secure by means of physical protection, passwords, anti-virus protection and staff training.
11. Access to your data
You have a right of access to your personal data that we hold and can have any inaccuracies corrected. This can be obtained by completing a Subject Access Request (SARS) and providing proof of your identity. This should be forwarded for the attention of Mr C D Harrison at C W Harrison & Son, Milner Way, Ossett, West Yorkshire, WF5 9JQ
12. Your Consent
13. Your right to be forgotten and withdrawal of consent
Under Article 17 of the GDPR individuals have the right to have personal data erased. This is also known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. The right is not absolute and only applies in certain circumstances, details of which can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office website. https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/. We will action any right to be forgotten within one month of the request being made to us unless we have a legal obligation to keep or in the exercise or defence of legal claims.
14. Contact Information
C W Harrison & Son
T: 01924 279005
You may also contact us on the above address in respect of any complaint relating to the processing of your personal data. You may also raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at https://ico.org.uk/.
A cookie is a text file sent by a web server - a device where one or more websites are stored - to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The text file is then sent back to the web server each time the web browser requests a page from the web server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser and provide richer user experiences for visitors to a web site.
We may install and use various plugins or extensions that help enrich the experience of using this website, and which may also use additional cookies, to, for example, monitor how successful each plugin or extension is, or further count the number of times a plugin or extension is used. In this way, those providers can measure the effectiveness of their solutions and make changes to improve their products.
If you choose not to accept cookies, then only the standard session cookie will load and be active until you close your web browser, the website will not function as intended and some facilities will be unavailable.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. For example, in Internet Explorer you can refuse all cookies by clicking: "Tools" > "Internet Options" > "Privacy", and selecting "Block all cookies" using the sliding selector. This choice will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites, including this one.
Most browser companies provide instructions on disabling cookies on their web sites.
You can learn more about cookies at AboutCookies.org